Sunday 21 October 2007

Dresden Gallery

I was planning on writing about a truly extraordinary (or certainly strange) piece of German art, to be found on the ZKM sim... part of a group of sims celebrating the German region of Baden-Württemberg, which includes the cities of Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Ulm and Freiberg (in the Black Forest). However, as happens from time to time, I found myself unable to come up with the verbal goods to provide an adequate explanation. But while I was in the neighbourhood, I did spot the Dresden Gallery cluster of sims, so went for a poke about.

Only one of the cluster is actually built on as yet. However, as the website informs us, this is a chance to "visit one of the world’s most famous museums, the Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Dresden State Art Collections. There you can view great masterpieces of key importance for the history of art, such as Raphael’s 'Sistine Madonna' or Giorgione’s 'Sleeping Venus'. All the rooms of the museum have been reconstructed true to scale on the Dresden Gallery island and all 750 masterpieces in the permanent exhibition are on display."

I have not yet had an opportunity to explore the inside - but to whet the appetite, here are some pictures of the grounds:


I have to say, it's an impressive build, with a lot of effort having gone into the photo-rendering of the building facades. Real textures and virtual objects are blended very subtly here, to great effect. But next, I plan to try and find the 750 art works!

Interesting that they've opted for a 1:1 scale. SL Architect chums inform me that this is not a good idea, as we tend to be bigger in SL, and make more room for one another than in real life.

As for ZKM, the sim I mentioned at the start of this post, I really think you should give it ago - as long as your idea of Art is not limited to, say, Raphael or Giorgione.

No comments: