Saturday 8 December 2007

Al Arrives Late at Alexander Beach

I seem to be having one of those weeks... or two... or maybe more. I got an invite to the opening of Princeton's newest, and most exhiliratingly strange build in Second Life, Alexander Beach. But I never actually seemed to get there. I will blame timezones, though I suspect that is as lame as a 3-legged camel, excuse-wise. OK... I just missed it, alright?

I first visited Alexander Beach in September. At that time it was still under construction, though the main features were starting to take shape. The sim is part of the extensive Princeton cluster, built under the excellent and sensitive stewardship of Persis Trilling. It is a fascinating mix of new and old/ RL and SL. Scope Cleaver has provided several buildings for the cluster, but none as large and ambitious as this, for Alexander Beach.

The structure spans the entire sim diagonally, with a large auditorium at one end and an exhibition area at the other. In form it is like a giant insect - at least, it is to me. The enclosed abdomen houses the auditorium, while the exhibition area occupies the head and thorax. Two stubby wings project at right-angles from the thorax, providing sandboxes for use by Princeton students. The intricacy of the design is something to behold and the attention to detail is spell-binding. I've taken rather a lot of snaps - which I hope you enjoy:


After my conversation with Sophrosyne at Extropia Core on Saturday, I'm hoping to scoot over to the opening of the Evolutions Museum, another new Scope build, which showcases "the humble beginnings and fascinating evolution of some of the most talented content creators in SL."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Alexander Beach before the official opening date on Bettina Tizzy's recommendation and was extremely impressed, as any rational person would be.

I also made it a point to attend Grace McDunnough's concert which took place some days after the opening. I was even more impressed that such a large and open space could also feel very intimate and warm when arranged for a concert or meeting.

Quite an achievement.

- Corman